Thursday, July 07, 2005

Prayers for London

With tears in my eyes, I'm watching the news coverage of the explosions in London. The chaos obviously brings up 9/11 memories. I hope this London incident is much less catastrophic...although with early reports of six separate explosions and extensive casualties does not bode well. How utterly horrible for a city to go from the excitement of winning the 2012 Olympics yesterday to this tragedy today. The Brits are in my thoughts and prayers.

Updated @ 9:00am
The London mayor's response was the most poignant statement I've heard from any government official..from Reuters:

London mayor Ken Livingstone condemned Thursday's terrorist attack in the British capital as "mass murder" as he prepared to rush home from Singapore. "This is not an attack against the rich and powerful. It is not an attack on the politicians, but on the common working people of London," Livingstone told reporters in the Asian city where he spearheaded London's winning bid to host the 2012 Olympics. Addressing those behind the bomb blasts, he said: "We have seen that you are not afraid to take your own lives but what you did is just mass murder." He added: "I can tell you now that you will fail in your long-term objectives to destroy our free society." "In the days that follow, look at our airports and seaports, and even after your cowardly attacks, you will still see people from around the world coming to London to achieve their dreams."