WalMart is Diablo
Over the years, I've attempted to explain to friends and family exactly why I despise WalMart. Initially, my hatred grew as I watched WalMart's arrival in our town cause the annihilation of each and every "Mom and Pop" shop as local consumers can always find the item they desired just a few pennies cheaper at WalMart. Next came the lawsuits and news stories which identified employment practices where WalMart would keep the majority of their employees working less than 32 hours solely to avoid having to provide medical benefits...with most of the store employees being single-working-mothers. Just last month, CA workers filed a lawsuit against the company for not providing appropriate breaks/lunch hours. Add on media's rumblings over the years of WalMart "laying off" workers after management discovered said workers are gay...all of these silent corporate policies confirmed to me by my ex-WalMart-manager-friend (he resigned his position when he was told by district management to carry out one of these hateful practices).
Yesterday, this story emerged. There are no words to properly explain this latest peak in my rage against WalMart. I understand this corporate monster provides employment for good people (some of which read this blog) - but if a corporation elects to market themselves as "America's" company, they must embrace the melting pot aspect of this wonderful country.
We're free to make our own decision about whether or not to shop at WalMart. Freedom to choose is a blessed right for the citizens of this nation. I continue to choose to spend my extra pennies per item at stores which practice either tolerance or acceptance of America's diversity.
<< Home