I have an injury. Not just any injury...but, in fact, an injury that no one could imagine. In fact, typing this blog update is challenging.
A group of friends and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate a 40th birthday (Tillapia with mango salsa and garlic mashed potatoes, for all my fellow food junkies). The birthday boy is the general manager at the local bowling alley (honestly, I swear, his name is Ed). His birthday wish was for all of us to go "rainbow bowling".
After coming to terms with the fashion faux pas of wearing rental bowling shoes, I ended up with the last available "house" ball to use...that weighed no less than 87 pounds, or at least it surely felt that heavy. I was nearly brought to tears after the first game when one of my friends let me in on the little secret...we had to bowl 3 games. How could I go on?? My arm felt like rubber and my thumb was killing me. Still, I suffered through it for Ed....you only turn 40 once.
The rainbow session ran so late (1:15am) that we weren't able to make it to the martini party which was also scheduled. I'm certain that soaking my thumb in vodka would have miraculously healed the aches and pains. I'd also considered wading in a pool of vodka to eradicate the unthinkables that were brewing within those rental shoes. But, alas, the party was over by the time we'd bowled the last frame.
This morning, I awoke to discover that I have severely bruised the bone in my thumb, and my right hand cannot make any sort of fist at all. While it's no singed hair...it's just as painful, my friends.
My lesson learned? Next time, I'll skip the bowling and hit the martini party immediately following dinner. In addition to avoiding bowling shoes, my body is much more adept to handle being a social butterfly. When will this Irish girl learn that not all rainbows result in pots of gold??
<< Home