Saturday, April 16, 2005

Random Thoughts

Bills are paid, condo is clean, Netflix movies watched (well, sort of, see below), DVR caught up, laundry accomplished, and grocery shopping complete...weekend chores for me are done. Now that the remaining two days are mine, I have some time to reflect on the week:
  • Geico absolutely lives up to its promise of saving you money - amazingly so. My auto insurance expires at the end of the month. My current insurer offered me a 6-month renewal at $570. I gave Geico a shot at my business and they offered me $355 for the same coverage (minus gap insurance, which Geico does not offer, yet is only $20/year). Considering it takes 4+ calls to my insurance agent to even get a response to my questions, I'm ready to go direct with Geico - now, let's see what Geico can do for my condo insurance !!
  • Hey Netflix - after I've endured nearly 3 months of "VERY LONG WAIT" status to receive Trauma, don't send me Trauma. Sure, the DVD jacket promises me the movie contains man-crush, Colin Firth...but the DVD itself proves you very, very wrong.
  • C'mon people, buy the chili !! Wendy's is the first fast-food restaurant I consider when I need to grab a quick meal. Guys, the fingertip was PLANTED in the chili by a very litigious-happy woman in Southern CA. Don't blame the Dave Thomas, blame the playah.
  • FYI to all those who constantly point out that I'm so "lucky" to not have children or a husband....did it ever dawn on you that perhaps I truly yearn for a child and/or family of my own? Rubbing in the fact that you are so blessed does not endear you to me. Lord knows I never intended to be the single 30-something woman with cats. And, no, I don't want to "borrow" your children, anymore than I want to "borrow" your husband. The grass is always greener.
  • I have a few exes - yet never ONCE have I had a "dance-off" with one of them. According to the gossip pages, Lohan/Valderama are the latest couple to hold such a public event. What's with this trend? How old am I that I don't understand anything about this concept?
  • Bo in the bottom 3??? Sure, over the past few weeks he's struggled...but would we expect Gregg Allman, Neil Young, or even some contemporaries like Springsteen, Bono or even John Mayer, to rock it out when forced to sing Classic Showtunes? And his Year You Were Born song selection could have been better...like Bad Time by Grand Funk Railroad, Fame by David Bowie, Love Hurts by Nazareth, or Tush by ZZ Top...but having to sing a song that's 30-years old (and not featured in the Wayne's World movie) is a tough thing to pull off for victory when 14-year-olds are doing the majority of the voting. I still think he's the best voice/performance combination left in the AI gang.
  • With the media focusing on sexual preditors, I recommend picking up The Woodsman. The story covers a disturbing premise without romanticizing it....and the movie succeeds because of that. Kevin Bacon's acting skills are truly underrated, especially when comparing this performance against Jaime Foxx's Ray, or any other of the 2005 nominees...and Kyra Sedgwick's natural beauty impresses even this hetero gal. There are some great storyline subtleties that I'd love to discuss with those who have seen it.
  • Is it wrong that Orlando Bloom reminds me of a young Colin Firth?
  • Spanglish was surprisingly good. Not enough to make me endure Punch Drunk Love, but a refreshing break from your typical Sandler comic-relief movie.
  • My latest favorite treat? Graham-crackers crushed and used as a layer along with sugar-free-low-fat chocolate pudding to create a parfait. Best served next day.
  • Cleaning up random puke/hairballs is a fact of life when you own cats. But can someone please explain to me why the puke must occur IN or ON my shoes?