Holiday Recap – Part I
Hopefully the holiday week was blessed for you and your families. For me, it was quite enjoyable; spending time with friends (my family gathering is this Wednesday) and relaxing by not opening my work laptop even once.
Thursday morning, I picked up my 14-year-old niece for our attempt to finish up the last of our shopping. As the normal 5-minute drive took me 20 minutes, thanks to the snowstorm-from-hell, we pondered in her driveway if it was wise to head out to the stores. A mere "well, you’re already here" was all it took for me to shift into reverse and head out on our adventure. We shopped for a few hours…I was asked for help by no fewer than 10 wandering-males who knew not what to by their significant others…and we hit our favorite deli for a grand meal of Matzo Ball soup and Corned Beef sandwiches.
Later that afternoon, I popped over my friend’s house to help her finish up her holiday cookie project. "Where are the frickin’ snowmen to decorate?" I questioned upon arrival. Apparently, they didn’t make the repeat list this year – after a poor showing last season. All my holiday wrapping awaited me, so I headed out back home just before midnight.
Christmas Eve morning, I awoke late – around 10am – probably due to the bottle of wine (Kendall Jackson Vintage Chardonnay, for those who are curious) that my friend and I split the previous night. My day was filled with wrapping presents and chasing cats away from the ribbons. That night, I went to my adopted family’s house for festivities. With 40 of us in one house, gatherings there are always an escapade. Let’s just say the lowest note of the night was that they served all fried food (shrimp, perch, and chicken) for dinner. Wasn’t it just a month or so ago that I swore off fried food? Thank goodness there were pierogies and some shrimp cocktail left over from the appetizer buffet. Other than that one downer, there was holiday glee in the children's eyes, family stories, and even an engagement !!
Christmas morning brought more snow, a breakfast visit from my niece since her parents were working first shift, and a bit more snow shoveling. That evening I was invited to my friend’s house for dinner. Her mom was there…my friend was keeping her busy since it’s the first year without her husband…so it was just the four of us. Roast Beef, Twice-Baked Potatoes, Corn, Green Beans, and Baked Alaska….now THAT’s a holiday dinner. The conversation was excellent – and Christmas Vacation was playing on DVD….until her husband’s brother (shall be named Hunter) and his wife (shall be named Muffin) arrived. Ironically, Hunter and Muffin are the real-life equivalent to Julia Louis-Dreyfuss’ character and husband in the movie. In a nutshell – I didn’t stay long after their arrival.
Hunter decided that watching a Christmas DVD was lame, so he tuned in The Sopranos via On Demand. While this family is quite Italian…I have to think there’s something a bit demented about watching that show during holiday festivities. Between the non-conversation (I was hushed multiple times for talking during a whacking) and relentless squeaky toy that Muffin had bestowed on my friend’s dog, I had to escape.
Today, I finally caught up with every show saved on my DVR. BRAVO's Project Runway is actually quite good (my thanks to LifeOnHold for recommending). The forecast was for just a dusting of snow…however; I just finished shoveling the latest 5 inches of the crap that fell again today. I'm sure a donation was made to Karma account as I helped push one of my neighbors out of the driveway after they became stuck. All I have to say is that it had better stop before I have to commute tomorrow morning !!
<< Home